The federal government has given an insight into the transfer of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy.
Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications and Digital Economy said with the development, the concept of Digital Number would be prioritized to replace the National Identity Card.
He made the disclosure in an interview with PRNigeria’s Economic Confidential.
Pantami confirmed that the contribution of the Information Communication Technology (ICT) sector to Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) increased in the second quarter of 2020.
The minister said broadband penetration rose significantly from a little above 30 percent to more than 42 percent in the last year.
“Any country where broadband penetration increases by 10 percent will witness GDP increase of between 1.6 percent and 6.8 percent. Digital economy indeed is the future, and it is all about prioritizing digital innovation and digital entrepreneurship.”
He explained that when the digital number becomes the new national identity, Nigerians will be able to access relevant services offered by government agencies and private institutions.
“The new approach is the digital number, not the card. The number will be in the country’s database and linked to the person’s passport, driver’s license, among others.
“If an individual wants to access any kind of service, it will be through the digital number provided. There is no point promoting the digital economy and people are going out with cards. It should be optional”, Pantami added.
- Peter Obi Reacts to Attack on Soludo as Ex-CBN Governor’s Whereabouts Remain Unknown
- “Leaving Nigeria doesn’t ensure you will get rich” – Straight to the point Donga to those looking for greener pasture overseas
- Governor Wike gifts Burna Boy land In and money to build on the land
- Tonto Dikeh receives global humanitarian celebrity honor
- Regina Daniels patronizes Jaaruma for Kayanmata products worth N5M
- Erica Nlewedim questions foreigner who claims a particular Lagos route is pothole-free
- “Chadian lady arrested with 18 wraps of heroin in her v*gina at Abuja airport”
- “Do you know how stupid you are to treat your girlfriend like a queen” – Reno Omokiri says
- “Men will shame themselves, Resist The Urge Of Bashing Women For The Wrongdoings Of Their Partners” – Toke Makinwa Advises
- Court sentences two brothers to death by hanging for stealing mobile phone
- Man who tattooed Bobrisky face in his body becomes a crossdresser (Video)
- [MUSIC] Ayomikun x Lyon Smith – Pray
- Nigerian lady ‘gifted’ N2m after talking about no one asking for her account details for Christmas on Snapchat
- [MUSIC] Jayfamous Ft Toy_Money and Olasky Omoghana – Good Life
- Hydeeyoung TMB – Church Girl (Prod. by Sense Beat)
- Skyboi – Bless Me (Prod. By TNGR)
- Rhyda ft Rocksteady – Customize
- Davidzee Ft. Oritse Femi – GIDIGON
- Mercy Johnson And Her Family Pay A Visit To Timaya (Photos)
- First lady, Aisha Buhari calls for prayers for Nigeria
Latest Music2 years ago
Damola x Davido – Risky (Cover)
DJ Mix8 months ago
[Mixtape] DJ UTB – Pizzy Banger Mix
Latest Music6 months ago
Rhyda ft Rocksteady – Customize
Entertainment6 months ago
Actress Ruth Eze Is Under Pressure To Marry And Says She Wont Mind Being A 2nd Wife
Latest Music6 months ago
Davidzee Ft. Oritse Femi – GIDIGON
Latest Music7 months ago
[MUSIC] Net Man – Hussle Go Pay
News8 months ago
“Jay Israel, You’re doomed. Nigeria is not South Africa; Your boys have been arrested.”- Prophet Gideon Isah Lambasts Jay Israel Snr. in viral video
News2 years ago
5 Renowned Weed Smokers In The Nigerian Music Industry