South Africa is set to unveil a coronavirus vaccine known as ChAdOx1 nCoV-19. The vaccine was developed by the Oxford Jenner Institute and it is already being evaluated in Britain.
According to reports 4,000 participants have signed up for the trial of the vaccine. The vaccine will be the first coronavirus trial in Africa once it is unveiled.
South Africa has set out to vaccinate 2,000 people with the vaccine. Fifty of the candidates have HIV.
“We began screening participants for the South African Oxford 1 Covid-19 vaccine trial last week, and the first participants will be vaccinated this week,” University of Witwatersrand (Wits) vaccinology professor Shabir Madhi told a virtual press conference.
Wits is collaborating with the University of Oxford and the Oxford Jenner Institute on the South African trial.
Brazil is planning its own pilot, while the United States is preparing to test another vaccine in a mass trial of up to 30,000 participants, AFP reports.
“As we enter winter in South Africa and pressure increases on public hospitals, now more than ever we need a vaccine to prevent infection by COVID-19,” Madhi said, describing the vaccine trial as a “landmark moment”.
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize echoed Madhi’s concerns, warning that South Africa was going through a “devastating storm” expected to peak “during the cold winter months”.
At the opening of a field hospital in the Eastern Cape province, Mkhize said more than half of South Africa’s population may be infected with the deadly virus.
“Our scientific estimation is that 60 to 70 percent of our population may be infected by coronavirus,” the minister said at the launch on Tuesday, adding that hospitalisation rates remained lower than anticipated.
Over 3,500 doctors and nurses have contracted COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and at least 34 have succumbed to the respiratory disease.
While South Africa prepares for its coronavirus vaccination trial, health officials have also pegged high hopes on dexamethasone, a generic anti-inflammatory drug found to reduce mortality among ventilated patients.
- Nigerian lady ‘gifted’ N2m after talking about no one asking for her account details for Christmas on Snapchat
- [MUSIC] Jayfamous Ft Toy_Money and Olasky Omoghana – Good Life
- Hydeeyoung TMB – Church Girl (Prod. by Sense Beat)
- Skyboi – Bless Me (Prod. By TNGR)
- Rhyda ft Rocksteady – Customize
- Davidzee Ft. Oritse Femi – GIDIGON
- Mercy Johnson And Her Family Pay A Visit To Timaya (Photos)
- First lady, Aisha Buhari calls for prayers for Nigeria
- How The Fucc Ima Turn Down $100k – Lil Baby Laments After Being Allegedly Dragged By Americans Over His Song With Davido
- Actress Ruth Eze Is Under Pressure To Marry And Says She Wont Mind Being A 2nd Wife
- Actor Sisi Quadri becomes proud owner of a beautiful house
- “Be happy” – BBNaija star Vee shares radiant pictures
- [MUSIC] Net Man – Hussle Go Pay
- [MUSIC] Sunshine – My Party
- Popular Nigerian Comedian blast notorious GistloverBlog on Fake News against Billionaire Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin [Watch Video]
- [Hot Mix] Spiral Media Ft. DJ UTB – Spiralmedia Monthly Mixtape (October Edition 2020)
- BBNaija 2020: Laycon declared winner
- [Mixtape] DJ UTB – Pizzy Banger Mix
- BBNaija: “If I Survive Eviction, I Will Win The Competition” – Kiddwaya Tells Big Brother
- BBNaija: I Will Love To Invest In Your Music – Kiddwaya To Laycon
DJ Mix4 months ago
[Mixtape] DJ UTB – Pizzy Banger Mix
News4 months ago
“Jay Israel, You’re doomed. Nigeria is not South Africa; Your boys have been arrested.”- Prophet Gideon Isah Lambasts Jay Israel Snr. in viral video
Latest Music2 months ago
Rhyda ft Rocksteady – Customize
News2 years ago
5 Renowned Weed Smokers In The Nigerian Music Industry
Entertainment3 months ago
Actress Ruth Eze Is Under Pressure To Marry And Says She Wont Mind Being A 2nd Wife
Latest Music11 months ago
Zinoleesky – Caro ft. Naira Marley
News4 months ago
Nigeria To Replace National Identity Card With Digital Number – Isa Pantami
Entertainment4 months ago
#BBNaija: “My Son Kiddwaya Does Not Need The N85million – Terry Waya